Saturday, February 15, 2014

Another Facebook Rant


So, a friend posted a picture of my 3 year old along side her kid, on Facebook. I get home, she appears angry and serious, asking me: "I posted a picture of your kids on Facebook. Why didn't you like it?"

My real life response was brief and polite, followed by a "like" several hours later.

The responses in my head were many. Complied is a list of bulleted thoughts and hypothetical (maybe at times rude) responses going through my head, including possible reasons of why I didn't "like" it, other options I considered taking but never would, and words, thoughts, and ideas that maybe should've been expressed.

(If you've read any of my previous FB blogs (see links below), or decided to dive even deeper on others' FB blogs (see links attached to my previous blogs), you might have a better understanding of where I'm coming from.)

  • First of all, how do you assume I saw the post, when I worked all day, and I just walked in the door?
  • I saw the post. It was ok. I didn't click "like" cause I didn't want to. I don't click "like" on every picture of my kid someone posts…not even when a family member does it. Is that rude of me? Or is that my choice?
  • I don't expect people to "like" every post I put up of their kids. I don't expect anybody to like any of my posts.
  • I click "like" when I really enjoy the post, when it makes me laugh out loud, or if I find it truly meaningful.
  • I would never approach someone in real life, and question why they didn't like my post.
  • I don't like being tagged on Facebook. That's why I chose my settings to be private, allowing me to see the photo, then choose whether I want to post or hide it.
  • I felt obligated to Facebook-friend you, for real-life social reasons. It took me two weeks to accept your friend request. Had I known this was going to happen several months down the road, I may have never friended you. I feel like un-friending you because of this.
  • Now that you've questioned why I haven't "liked" the photo, after jumping to the conclusion that I've logged on Facebook and seen the picture, I finally "clicked" like. I would think that might not feel good to have someone like your picture, after one needs to question why they haven't like it in real life.
  • I had no intention of clicking "like" on this picture, just like I had no intention of clicking "like" on my own wife's post of my own kids a few days ago.
  • Now that I clicked "liked" the photo, after you questioned why I didn't…does that feel better?
  • If that was me, and I posted something in hopes people would like it; I would rather wait it out to see if anybody clicks like, rather than physically requesting people to click "like." I think I might almost be more upset if someone clicked "like" after I had to ask them to do so. I could understand how someone not "liking" my posts would lead be to be anxious and depressed.
  • I wasn't really asked; I feel it was more of an interrogation.
  • I feel like "un-friending" you, but I'm going to avoid real-life drama.
  • I have enough problems in real life, why do I need to worry about "liking" things on Facebook.
  • Now, every time you post anything, whether it be a picture of your kids, my kids, or just a random comment, I am going to feel obligated to "like" it: the main motivation factor being avoiding another interrogation or confrontation. 
  • Really? I mean, really?
  • Will you notice in a few months when I scrub my timeline and activity log, and "unlike" the photo. I scrub my timeline and activity log once or twice a year.
  • Scenarios like this is just more evidence that feeds the research that Facebook causes anxiety and depression.
  • It seems like it's just two different personalities, thinking two different things, not communicating and coming together. You were just thinking "These are cute pics of your kids, why don't you like" and all I'm thinking is "I like what I want, I don't "like" all pics of my kids, I don't enjoy being tagged, and I don't like being told what to do with an optional/recreational social media activity."
  • The thing about it is, I didn't have time to respond with all these bullet points going on in my head, that I just typed, with our 30-second discussion of why I didn't like my own kids on Facebook.
  • Am I sounding rude? Tired? Overworked? Exhausted? Burned out? Is this silly of me? Or am I making some good points? I'm not sure, but I sure feel better now.

Previous FB thoughts:
Experiences and Thoughts About Facebook: A User Perspective
http://edtechgary.blogspot.com/2013/11/experiences-and-thoughts-of-facebook.html

Facebook: Observations, Evolutions, Implications, and Possibilities
http://edtechgary.blogspot.com/2013/11/facebook-observations-evolutions.html








No comments:

Post a Comment